Friday, May 16, 2008

Being Handled

Well yesterday started off being pretty uneventful. Went to the pool and did my time with the floaties, and kick boards and fins and all that. (since I've been focusing more on mountain biking instead of triathlons the swims have decreased, making it feel like I don't know how to swim every time I get back in the water) So all that was just dandy. Now I smell like chlorine all day! Head back home to sit in front of the bane of my existence, you guess it the computer. So after about 4 or 5 hrs....(who can ever remember how long they sit there when you're getting radiated, or micro-waved or whatever from that screen)...I go and do my strength workout! No big deal with that. I just head upstairs to the famed workout room. (Although it does have so many other uses...so many more that time will not allow me to address them all at this time) 
But anyway, that goes off without a hitch! Have the afternoon caffeine blast and snack then back in front of the life-suck machine for a few more hours of work! With dinner hour approaching we decide on home made pizza. Pizza is the best and you all know it. Pile whatever you like on a slab of dough and the whole meal is right at your finger tips. ( Just watch that first bite of scorching hot cheese that inevitably will stick to your lip or face or something making you remember that pizza for the next few days...I've done it! Come on, so have you!)

Where was I, oh yeah...so with the pizza in the oven and Sara, (my wife), on her way back from the store with some groceries and the much needed brew, I was already thinking of the hot shower and the cold beer that would follow. But unfortunately that was not in the cards for little old me tonight. With mere seconds on the timer to alert me that the wonderful gooey goodness that WAS my dinner could be extracted from the oven, I bent down to pull something out of a cabinet...and that something just so happened to be attached to the drawer above it...(Hummmm see where this is going). Being so good at "being in the right place at the right time"...and with all of this genetically gifted athletic ability, (that's a joke folks), I happened to position my face right in front of that drawer.

Now I'm watching the slideshow in my head of the wonderful things that could have been, hot shower, clean shave, cold beer,  hot yummy home made pizza, relaxation on the couch, all go up in smoke standing there with a split bleeding lip! After a quick peek in the mirror I know it needs a stitch or two. "Now why couldn't this have happened at 6 or 7, instead of 8 PM?" Now the slide show has changes from things that could have been to what I know to expect at the emergency room of any hospital, on any day, at any time. The long wait with all the other misfits, wing nuts, and accident prone noodle heads like myself. Oh what fun this will be! 

(If you ever have some free time on your hands and you want to do some people watching, this a great place to get a laugh)

Well 3 hrs later I emerge hungry, thirsty, tired and with two brandy new stitches in my upper lip. At least they used black thread to blend it with my already 3 day old growth. Looks like I'll be sporting a goatie for a week or so until I can pull these out...ehm "I mean so that my doctor can pull them out"...wink, wink!

I would have felt much better having a story about getting some "sweet air over some epic log pile" and "endoing into a pile of cinder blocks" to answer all of those, "what happened to you lip questions", but the truth is pretty funny!!

PS. After careful consideration, (and since this was a blatant and obviously unprovoked attack on my person), I have decided to remove all of the drawers from my kitchen cabinets and have them replace with better behaved ones. I know the cabinet doors were involved in the planing of this attack but since we have no solid evidence of this, we are unable to hold them responsible as well. So luckily for them, they get to hang around just a little longer!!


1 comment:

TD said...

If you didn't get a lolipop then you just got fuckin' cheated.

ALWAYS get the lolipop.