Thursday, August 13, 2009

The dreaded Taper

The worst training week for me is always the taper week. This is the hardest week to get right. Not only is everyone's taper different, every time I have a race and taper into it, I'm different. (physically.....not totally, .....we'll you know what I mean)

If I wasn't different then my training wouldn't be working anyway and I might as well forgo the taper and just race like an idiot and see how long I can go before blowing out a quad or something. But I guess I have faith in my coach and training and I go into the taper thinking I will come out on the other side better than I was going in! (although I do always mentally cross my fingers during the taper week )

But it never fails that I feel slow, fat, old, achy, (fill in your adjective here), it just feels bad when my body gets to slow down and fully recover from all the stress that has been placed on it for the past 3, 4 maybe even 8 weeks since the last true taper.

But I'll just slug along and hope it's working like it's supposed to...! ( Please work, please work, oh please.....)

We'll see at the race on Saturday. I don't usually start feeling comfortable during a race until at least 2 hrs into it anyway!

I'll let you know how it goes :-)

No comments: